The Cedar Creek Reception Room is the one room on the second floor that has been restored to a later period in State House history. Dominated by the 20 by 10 foot painting, "The Battle of Cedar Creek", the chamber once served as the State Library until it was transformed into a reception room in 1888 and redecorated. Elaborate wall stencils, bent brass gas chandeliers, an Oriental-inspired carpet design and stained glass skylights bring the "Gilded Age" to the Vermont State House.

"The Battle of Cedar Creek" was painted by Julian Scott from 1871 to 1874 for the State House. It commemorates perhaps Vermont's finest moment in the Civil War. The battle was fought in Virginia's Shenendoah Valley in October, 1864, with th Old Vermont Brigade in the center of the canvas, leading the rally that would end a Union retreat. Scott was a native of Johnson, Vermont who won one of the first Medals of Honor ever awarded for an act of valor at another Civil War battle, Lee's Mills.